Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Book Trailer Premiere: Poison: Deadly Deeds, Perilous Professions, and Murderous Medicines by Sarah Albee

Hi, Sarah Albee! Welcome back to Watch. Connect. Read.! I always love when you drop by to celebrate books and finish my sentences. Thank you for sharing the book trailer for Poison: Deadly Deeds, Perilous Professions, and Murderous Medicines

Sarah Albee: Hey, Mr. Schu! It’s a pleasure to be back! Thanks so much for having me.


The book trailer for Poison: Deadly Deeds, Perilous Professions, and Murderous Medicines was a blast to put together, because conveniently, I have this wicked talented daughter, Cassie Willson, who did most of the work. She also produced, cast, directed, filmed, scored, and edited a bunch of other Poison-related videos, which we’ll be releasing on the order of 1 – 2 per week, leading up to the September 5th publication date. These short videos are a series of “whodunit” poison-related mysteries from history, starring some really talented kid actors. For instance, my fourth-grader friend, Matt, who plays the Roman emperor in the trailer, is going to be a star some day. You heard it here first, everyone.

Here’s the first short video:



Alexander the Great seems to make an appearance in a lot of my books. There are lots of stories about him, and it’s not easy to sort out which ones actually happened, but in Poison, I include an anecdote about a time when Alexander was ill. He was about to drink down some medicine prepared by his physician, Philip, when someone handed him a note warning him that Philip had been bribed into poisoning him. Alexander handed the note to Philip while drinking down the medicine. Now there’s trust.




On September 5, 2017, I might be in a lot of trouble. #onlyhalfkidding The book includes an ongoing feature called “Poisoned or Not?” wherein I speculate about the cause of death of some famous and not-so-famous people, and who might have poisoned them. I even mention certain current and former world leaders by name, and suggest that they might have been involved in some of these cases.  




Why’d They Wear That? Fashion as the Mirror of History, Bugged: How Insects Changed History, and Poop Happened! A History of the World from the Bottom Up are books I wrote because they’re about topics I think are extremely cool, and because I wanted to show kids how fascinating and exciting history can be.



Nonfiction rules! It’s the new place-to-be-seen section in the school library. I do a lot of school visits, and there’s nothing I love more than touring the NF section put together by an awesome school librarian who understands how exciting this category of kidlit has become. Today’s nonfiction books include lively writing, gorgeous illustrations, cutting-edge research, great back matter, and fascinating subjects—and many are beautifully designed. More and more nonfiction books are assuming their rightful place in the pantheon of great kidlit, and are winning big 
awards. The Revolution is coming, Mr. Schu!


Mr. Schu, you should have asked me what my next books are about. I have a biography of George Washington for younger readers coming out in December with Harper Collins. And next March, I have a book about the history of the human-dog relationship with National Geographic, called Dog Days of History. See? I don’t always write about weird stuff!
DEADLY DEEDS, PERILOUS PROFESSIONS, AND MURDEROUS MEDICINES


No comments:

Post a Comment