Friday, August 4, 2017

An Interview with Jaime Kim, Illustrator of La La La: A Story of Hope


Hi, Jaime Kim! La La La: A Story of Hope is absolutely stunning. I cannot wait until it is sent out into the world on October 3, 2017.  How did you approach the story? 

Jaime Kim: I must have read Kate's story dozens of times. Though it was very succinct and abstract, I could sense that there was a lot going on in there. I tried my best to feel the things that she was trying to express, and strove to capture the story's ambiance in the illustration as much as possible. As I fleshed out the very strong narrative framework Kate Dicamillo provided, I tried to make the details as beautiful as possible.
Illustration Credit: Jaime Kim 

What spoke to you about the story?

Jaime Kim: Preparing the project, I read a lot of picture books written and illustrated by other writers and illustrators. I also watched some movies and animated features. I tried to gain inspiration from all sorts of sources. However, while such attempts were helpful on the technical side, the most important source of inspiration turned out to be myself. I tried to bring back myself into my childhood, and the feelings I felt back then. I jotted these feelings down in a notepad. Then I projected my childhood personality onto the main character.


Illustration Credit: Jaime Kim 
What was the biggest challenge of the project?

Jaime Kim: An absence of text made it difficult to express the emotions. I kept worrying that the readers would not interpret the story as I intended. Every time such a concern hit me, I tried to imagine that I was creating an animated film. I imagined how the main character would look like if she was really moving. I took such imagined movements and facial expressions to develop emotional cues that can be easily understood by the readers.


What was the most fun part ?

Jaime Kim: Character design was definitely the most fun part, without a doubt. It was the most challenging part as well, but also the most enjoyable part at the same time. I gave much thought on what kind of character would fit perfectly with Kate’s story. I even thought of creating a character who was not a human. Ultimately, I decided that a little girl is best suited to the story. As I mentioned, I reflected my childhood into the main character, but actually the outward appearance was largely inspired by my little sister during her childhood. The short-haired girl closely resembles my sister when she was little. Whereas I was an introverted and quiet girl, my sister had a wide range expressions. I suppose you could say that "the girl" is an amalgam of me and my sister, who was also my first friend.


Click here to read my interview with Kate DiCamillo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment